Welcome!

If you are a fellow wandering expatriate of the beervana of the Beautiful Pac Nor West. If your mouth is dry and dusty from the road because you have not found a watering hole that serves a brew fit to wet your mouth. If you are willing to spend hours wandering from liquor store to liquor store in hope of finding a bottle of well made craft suds: Then you have come to the right place. Pull up a stool, and grab a pint, because you are among friends.

27 August 2010

Blue Moon - The Gateway Beer (Guest Commentary)

So in the true style of a North West Beerophite we have our first guest commentary. There is nothing that goes with a good craft brew like an intelligent conversation, so talking about things that interests us is a favorite activity among us beer snobs.

Kyle has written a great commentary on a subject that I'm sure many can relate to. I would like to thank Kyle for being the first to contriubte to our little support group here.

Please enjoy.


I would like to accentuate how Blue Moon is what I call the Gateway beer. Average college party goers start their partying escapade with drinking shitty domestic beer. Occasionally they may inadvertently stumble upon some quality brews, but turn up their noses because it does not live up to their party standards (chuggability, quantity/price factor).

The moment they encounter Blue Moon is priceless. The orange peel draped over the rim of their glass displaying the ever tacky Chili's logo. At some point during their random dinner before a movie at a corporate chain bar/restaurant they were pleasantly surprised by the enticing taste of Blue Moon.

The first thought on their mind is, hmmm, am I really enjoying this new beer because it teases the palate in a similar fashion as some quality brews I despised in the past, or is the light and smooth taste similarly intriguing to the cheap shit that I am used to drinking? With a puzzled look across their face they happily exclaim to their friends, hey, I really like this!

Thus the seed has been planted and the inevitable has begun. Eventually, Blue Moon has played its part and there forever blooms the curiosity to expand one's taste of good brew.

This is exactly what happened to me, and is the similar case for so many other college binge drinkers that puked over balconies with me in brethren fashion. I find this similar to most adult beverages. The mocha was my gateway to drinking black coffee and Malibu rum was my gateway to good bourbon as well.

If anyone has a similar story, or jumped straight to the good stuff, I'd love to hear your reaction.
 
Kyle Woodard.

No comments:

Post a Comment