Welcome!

If you are a fellow wandering expatriate of the beervana of the Beautiful Pac Nor West. If your mouth is dry and dusty from the road because you have not found a watering hole that serves a brew fit to wet your mouth. If you are willing to spend hours wandering from liquor store to liquor store in hope of finding a bottle of well made craft suds: Then you have come to the right place. Pull up a stool, and grab a pint, because you are among friends.

29 August 2010

Great Lakes Brewing Co. - Porter "Edmund Fitzgerald"

Brewery: Great Lakes Brewing Co. http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/

Style: Porter " Edmund Fitzgerald

ABV: 5.8%

Container: Straight From the Bottle

Location Bought: WPAFB Class Six, Ohio, August 2010

Location/Situation Enjoyed Under:
In a cruddy hotel.

Appearance: Deep Brown Black with a frothy white head 




First Reaction: A nice bittersweet, almost like semi-sweet chocolate front. 

When I first tasted it I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I thought In had found yet another "Porter" that would leave me wishing for a swift return to the true hearty Porters of Stumptown. But it definitely grows upon you after the second sip. I really wish I could have enjoyed this beer from a frosty glass instead of the bottle. After a couple sips and letting the beer settle its flavors really opened up and you could appreciate more of the beers complexities. This is definitely an excellent regional beer and I encourage anyone who comes across it to enjoy a bottle, it really is a pleasure. This is on the bitter end for a porter, so If you tend to prefer Stouts over Porters I think you may find this to be just the thing to wet your palate with.

I wish I had more time here now simply to try the rest of this family of beers.


Brewery's Description:

Thanks to our craft brewing process, when you take a swig of our Edmund Fitzgerald, it will taste smoky, robust, dark, and bittersweet. Named after the ship that frequently docked in Cleveland and sunk in Lake Superior in 1975, our Porter combines a complex, roasty aroma with a bittersweet, chocolate-coffee taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment